Thursday, December 30, 2010

Random thoughts

It’s almost three months since we returned from our great Egyptian trip – but it is still fresh in my mind. I have just completed a 4 week lecture series on The Great Goddesses of Ancient Egypt with Dr Lyn Green. Now that I know that there are seven Hathors, I am even more confused than ever. But you have to remember that we are trying to make sense of 5,000 years of history in tiny information bites. Now I am trying to learn Hieroglyphs! How crazy is that?

In the temple to Hathor at Dendara
Here are some random thoughts for future travels:
1. Always keep small bills for market shopping. If you don’t have the exact amount for a purchase, you might have a loud argument about getting your change.
2. Have change for WC visits. I didn’t mind tipping the washroom attendants, because when they were present, the bathrooms were pretty clean.
3. A good handful of Kleenex is very useful if you need more than 4 squares of toilet paper.
4. Although most tips of what to wear suggest running shoes, I found them too hot and good sturdy open sandals were much better for almost every excursion – except for a desert trek.
5. Covering shoulders and knees is mandatory in mosques, but it is considered respectful all of the time. Capris were the most popular wear for wormen tourists I found, but I liked loose, cool pants and tops that kept me from burning to a crisp under the relentless sun.
6. Here’s a great tip I got from a friend, on long hot outings, take a damp cloth in a Ziploc bag to cool your face and neck. I also brought a small spray bottle of water to mist us down during the heat of the day.
7. For a first time visitor to Egypt, I strongly advise joining a guided tour. Insight Vacations and their partner in Egypt, Spring Tours, were fantastic. We were well taken care of the whole trip – but didn’t feel stifled. Our guide was an Egyptologist, with a good sense of humour. And our fellow travellers were excellent companions on the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karin and Peter,

    Thanks for the excellently written and beautifully pictured blog. It brings back fond, treasured memories of the beautiful holiday we had, it makes us just want to be back amongst the ancient tombs, intimidating pyramids and breathtaking temples. Great to hear from you..hope you are both well. All the best for the new year. Moms already booked her Spain, Portugal and Morocco tour through Insight in May - she is really looking forward to that. I am most certainly re-visiting Egpyt again at least once more in my lifetime. Keep Well. Genevieve & Candy Van Gysen

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy reading about our adventures. Feedback and comments are very welcome.